How UPF model retention flip flop?

Make it to the Right and Larger Audience

How UPF model retention flip flop?
3 Voices |3 Posts |300+ | Discussion Rooom: Low Power

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Precise-Design 3 years ago.

• Author
    Senior Engineer

I m confused about how UPF model retention flip flop. If a flip flop is retained, why its output becomes x? Ff is retained right?

in addition, retention is out of x when power is reapplied or when retention condition is false?

I am using questa.

• DRama
    Master student

I am using Questa too. I notice retention flip flop is out of x when power is back on and before retention control toggles to non-retain mode.

• Precise-Design

DRama is correct. That is expected behavior for both sim and silicon. Reason is related to how retention FF works. Below is a typical master-slave FFs. A typical retention FF is when main VDD is gone, only slave latch keeps power so it can hold FF content. But of course since no need to capture new data, the voltage to drive slave latch can be much lower and just enough to hold data. Key is that buffer on Q is also powered down. This is why in retention FF output is x. But when main power is reapplied, that buffer on Q is active and slave latch output can be properly driven out so FF out is out of x.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact Us

Thanks for helping us better serve the community. You can make a suggestion, report a bug, a misconduct, or any other issue. We'll get back to you using your private message ASAP.

Sending

©2021  ValPont.com

Forgot your details?