- What is Premium?
- Licensing agreement and governing policies of Premium
- How does Valpont charge for Premium items?
- How to market intellectual properties?
- Direct IP sell: add digital item as attachment
- What is author subscription?
- What is author post premium?
- What is author point premium?
- What is site wide premium?
- What is Find Expert?
- How is online payment processed?
- How to view order and get purchased file?
What is Premium?Premium allows users to post the following items for sale:
- Intangibles, such as documents, training videos, software/tools, papers, ebooks, etc.
- Tangibles, such as lab equipments, PCB boards, electronic components/chips, etc.
- Rent/Share, users can also post items for rent/share.
There are three special types of premiums:
- Subscription premium that allows an author to restrict access to his subscription posts and readers need to subscribe to this author's posts (purchase subscription premium) to get access. Please check What is author subscription? for details.
- Post-premium-content type premium that allows an author to link this premium to one or multiple posts (for example video courses) so post contents are restricted and only accessable to buyers of the linked premium. Please check What is author post premium? for details. An author can only have one subscription premium but can have multiple post-premium-content type premiums.
- Find-expert type premium that allows a user to list himself/herself as an expert/tutor and charge fee for online/offline support. Please check What is Find Expert? for details.
Users take full responsibilities for the items they post on Valpont Premium. Please check Licensing agreement and governing policies of Premium for further information.
Price is in US $.
Valpont adopts Paypal for online transactions. If seller opts to use online transaction, "User Offline Transaction" should be left unchecked as default. If box is checked, buyer can contact seller for payment menthod.
Licensing agreement and governing policies of PremiumSeller should clearly specify the licensing agreement in premium. Seller can opt to use Valpont Standard Licensing. Note this is NOT the default licensing agreement and seller needs to explicitly state if Valpont Standard Licensing is adopted. If no licensing mentioned, potential buyers should contact seller before purchasing.
Users should check Premium Guidelines and Valpont Term of Use policies before posting and purchasing any Premium item.
How does Valpont charge for Premium items?Note: this section is subject to change. Please visit frequently for any update.
Posting Premium item is FREE. Buyer pays the full listing price. Valpont charges 15% commission on transactions. Currently we adopt Paypal as our online payment gateway. Paypal charges commission on transactions too. Exact amount and percentage is based on transaction and it is fully determined by Paypal. The left about 80%+ is payed to seller.
It is fully seller and buyer's responsibility to pay any federal, state, and local tax due to Premium transaction, may it be sale tax, income tax, or others.
How to market intellectual properties?Valpont offers multiple ways to market and monetise your knowledge and intellectual properties:
- Direct IP sell. Create a premium and add digital items such as docs/files/codes as attachments. Please refer to Direct IP sell: add digital item as attachment for details. (You can also use premium to sell tangible items)
- Author subscription. Make part of post content accessable only to readers who subscribe to the author's posts. More details are in What is author subscription?.
- Author post premium. Specify part of post content as premium or paid content. Link a premium to post so paid content is only accessable to buyers of that premium. More details are in What is author post premium?.
- Author point premium. Specify part of post content as author point premium content so readers need to spend author points to gain access. Author points can be purchased from the author's author point premium. Details in What is author point premium?.
- Site wide premium (SWP). Valpont will award contributors based on multiple factors. Refer to What is site wide premium? for details.
- Author Advertisement. An author can get approval from online adv agents such as Google Adsense. Valpont will help to integrate into the author's member page, post page, etc. Valpon reserves the right to refuse this service to anyone without notice.
Author post premium has better buyer experience. At the end of payment process buyer can access and view premium content online without having to download.
Above two methods are suitable for a small number of items to sell. If an author posts regularly and likes to charge a fee for these posts, instead of selling posts one by one, he can use author subscription to allow readers to subscribe. An subscriber can view all subscription posts of this author within a limited time (currently three months).
Downside of author subscription is the access to ALL subscription posts of an author. With author point premium, an author allows readers to choose whether to spend author points to gain access to particular posts. Author point needs to be purchased from author point premium.
Author can also opt to participate in site wide premium. So readers don't have to purchase from each author and can spend site poins to unlock site wide premium (SWP) posts of multiple authors. Each SWP post costs two points. Valpont will award SWP authors based on multiple factors.
We use the following symbols to show the post type:
Direct IP sell: add digital item as attachmentTo sell digital goods in this way, when create a premium, seller can use "Attachments" to upload files that buyer can only view and download after payment is received. Note adding files using "Add Media" in virtual editor is NOT the right way to add digital items for sale. Files added in this way are viewable to users without payment. Seller must use "Attachments" to add items for sale.
What is author subscription?To use subscription, user first needs to create a subscription premium by selecting premium type as subscription. Once a reader purchases this premium, the reader is subscribed to the seller's posts and therefore is able to view subscription content in posts.
Note subscription is valid for three months, which is fixed for all the sellers. During these three months, subscriber can view the subscription content in posts. After three months, reader needs to purchase the subscription premium again to get another three months. Seller has freedom to set the subscription fee, which is the subscription premium price. Seller should not specify more than one subscription premium.
Once subscription premium is created, user can go ahead and make part of post content as subscription content so only subscriber can view it. It is simple. User only needs to add
in the post and then all the content from that line to the end of the post page is considered as subscription content. Note:
- if there is no "-subscription_content-" in the post, the post is just a regular post and any reader can see all the content.
- if a post has multiple pages, user needs to put "-subscription_content-" at each page. If no "-subscription_content-" in a page, that page is viewable to all readers.
A user can go to his home page Premium and then Orders to view purchase status, ie., subscriptions to any author and whether/when it expires. He can also go to Premium and then "My Sales" to view sale status, ie., how many sales for subscription.
What is author post premium?First create a premium and select Premium type as "Post Premium Content".
Don't put digital items to sell in this premium as in direct IP sell case. Instead, create a post and use below to link the premium to the post.
Note keep "Link Premium" to "None" for regular post. User also needs to make part of post content as paid content so only buyers of the linked premium can view it. It is simple. User only needs to add
in the post and then all the content from that line to the end of the post page is considered as paid/premium content. Note:
- if there is no "-premium_content-" in the post, the post is just a regular post even with a premium linked and any reader can see all the content.
- if a post has multiple pages, user needs to put "-premium_content-" at each page. If no "-premium_content-" in a page, that page is viewable to all readers.
What is author point premium?First an author needs to create a premium and select Premium type as "Author Point Premium". Other than price author needs to specify how many author points are granted to a buyer after he purchases this premium.
in a post. Then all the content from this line to the end of the post page is author point premium content. To gain access a reader needs to spend author points which are purchased with above premium. Note:
- "nn" in "-authorpoint_content_nn-" needs to be replaced with a number that specifies how many author points this post costs. For example, "-authorpoint_content_5-" means this post costs 5 author points.
- if a post has multiple pages, user needs to put "-authorpoint_content_nn-" at each page. If no "-authorpoint_content_nn-" in a page, that page is viewable to all readers.
A reader/buyer can go to his home page Premium tab and then Orders to view purchase status, ie., author point balance and posts purchased with author points. An author can also go to Premium and then "My Sales" to view sale status, ie., how many sales for author point premium posts.
What is site wide premium?Authors can contribute contents to site wide premium (SWP). To access, a reader can spend site points which can be either purchased or earned by contributing contents. Each SWP post costs two points. The SWP post contributor not only earns points when publishing the SWP post but also keeps receiving points from Valpont. Valpont will also award SWP contributors financially. The latter two are based on multiple factors such as number of readers unlock this SWP post, post rating, etc.
To contribute to SWP, when creates a post, an author can simply use "-sitesub_content-" to specify which part of post is SWP content.
Sometimes an author wants to specify a post to be both author subscription post and a SWP post so reader can use either way to unlock the content. In this case use "-subscription_sitesub_content-" instead of "-subscription_content-". Similarly, to specify a post to be both author premium post and a SWP post, use "-premium_sitesub_content-" instead of "-premium_content-".
What is Find Expert?Find Expert provides a quick and convenient channel for industry and academic experts and learners to get connected. It enables industry experts to list themselves as experts/tutors and charge fee for online/offline consulting, training, or other support. On learner side, whether he has a question to consult with an expert, likes to learn a topic from an expert, or has a project that needs good hands, he can use Find Expert to get the right resource.
On the expert side, he can create a premium and select Premium type as "Find Expert" so that he is listed as an expert. The price of "Find Expert" premium is the fee charged by expert to learner per half an hour. If a session lasts more than half an hour such as 2 hours, learner can check out four items so the total is 2 hours.
On the learner side, he can go to expert's "Find Expert" premium, follow below simple procedures to get connected with the expert:
- Send Request. Send a request to the expert specifying the question in mind. Use private message to negotiate and agree on topic, scope, format (offline, online, or via emails), and expected duration of the session.
- Pay the Fee. After negotiation, pay the agreed fee. Listed price is by default per half an hour. For example, if the session is agreed to last about 2 hours, add 4 items in the shopping cart.
- Go Talk. It is recommended the expert double checks fee is properly payed. Then you two can meet offline or online. There are various online video conference tools to use. Done! For learners, please don't forget to leave a review and rate on your experience.
How is online payment processed?Valpont adopts Paypal for online transaction. Once Buyer clicks "Paypal Check out" button, buyer is directed to paypal.com to finish transaction so no sensitive information is saved and typed in at Valpont.
Seller needs to provide paypal account to Valpont to receive payment. Seller's and buyer's paypal account are not viewable to the other party.
How to view order and get purchased file?Once paypal transaction is finished, buyer can go to his/her member page and Premium tab. Order history is under "Orders" section. Buyer can click into each order for detailed order information and a link to the purchased file.